Blogger Widgets

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Author: Veronica Roth
Title: Allegiant
Publication: October 22, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian
Pages: 544
Audience: 15 and up
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Source: Purchased

Synopsis (from the cover): The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered- fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 
But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature- and of herself- wile facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

My thoughts:
 I finished this book a few days ago. I actually started the book back in October right after it came out, but a friend of mine ruined the ending...so I kind of put it off. I'm also doing that to another series. I hate it when people do that, but I eventually get over it because I get to experience the journey. It's just I know I won't have a raw/true reaction to that event because I'm expecting it. Anyway, I'm really not sure how I feel or what I think about this book. I read some reviews about it, and I think the best one described it as Katy Perry's song, Hot and Cold. I think that perfectly sums it up. 
Unlike some fans of the series, I did enjoy reading the book for the most part. I did not like the varying viewpoints because to me Tris and Tobias were written so much alike, that I would forget whose perspective I was in until another character said something, then I was thinking, "Huh? When did we switch perspectives?" 
Of course, Mrs. Roth has no issues killing off her characters. In a way, I respect authors who want to rip your hearts out, but after a while, I start to detach myself from the book and characters so I'm not hurt every three chapters or so. I think she did an overkill for the series, even though it is a dystopian series, she killed off way too many loveable characters. She killed off one of my favorite characters and I had to stop reading at that point and let myself be angry and upset over it. I'm pretty sure I'm still not over it.
As for the ending, I felt one ending was too abrupt for one character. The other character's ending was a bit fluffy and sugary sweet for my taste. Otherwise, the book was fine. It was a conclusive ending to the trilogy. I honestly liked it. There were a couple of quotes about information and one about love that I wrote down to remember. I can say I like Divergent and Insurgent better, but Allegiant makes an okay ending for the series. What do you think? Were you a lover or hater of Allegiant?
 

6 comments:

  1. I was a hater at first. I didn't want Tris to die! But after my emotions settled down, I realized that there was no other way to end the series. All events were leading up to a tragic ending--the perfect blend of duantless and abnegation--a brave self-sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this series, it just shocked me at first with how it had to end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like you had the end ruined for me and had no interest to start it right away just to get my heart ripped away after spending years with these characters. I will eventually read it but I'm just kind of put off by how she would choose to end it that way. I probably (hopefully) will feel different after I read it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am looking forward to the movie. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still putting this one off haha. The ending was spoiled for me also. My best friend is reading it right now and she still doesn't agree with how it ended. She doesn't feel that it should have been her sacrifice and that it went against her character, because tris had already stated early on in allegiant that she wouldn't sacrifice herself. I'm still torn about the whole thing. Great review, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!
    I haven't started this series yet, but I hope to start it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually reading this one right now. I couldn't put the first two books down and the same with this one. I wasn't expecting it to be written with Tris and Tobias's view point and it also confused me at times. But so far I'm loving this whole series and I am so looking forward to watching the movie.

    ReplyDelete