Blogger Widgets

Monday, October 28, 2013

Fables Volume 1: Legends in Exile

Author: Bill Willingham

Illustrator: James Jean,  Alex Medina, Steve Leialoha, Craig Hamilton
Title:Fables: Legends in Exile
Publication: November 21, 2011
Publisher: Vertical
Genre: Graphic Novel, Comic Book
Pages: 128
Audience: 17 and up
Rating: 3 out of 5
Source: Purchased

Synopsis (from the cover): In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case- and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.


My thoughts:
I love Once Upon a Time. I watched an interview with the creators and actors of the show, and an audience member had asked the creators was the story and ideas of their own, from Disney, or Fables? The creators said it was a mix of all of them, but it was ideas that sprang up from their minds. I thought this would be similar and I should give it a try. It was okay, but it was lacking something. I'm not sure what, but it just wasn't my favorite story arc. I have bought some of the series, so I plan to give it a go. I hear from many people, "You have to read this!" Maybe, it will get better, but the first story was not the best. I found the characters more interesting than the storyline, and I really enjoyed the short story in the back of the graphic novel. The characters were really easy to pick out, and I found an eerie resemblance of Fables Snow White to Once Upon a Time's Regina. Everyone from Little Boy Blue to Prince Charming to Snow White to Cinderella were in the graphic novel. I am going to give the series another try just because I have bought a good chunk of it. Otherwise, I would recommend checking it out at the library and giving it a try. You aren't wasting any money that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment