Blogger Widgets

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dewey: There's a Cat in the Library!

Author: Vicki Myron and Bret Witter

Illustrator: Steve James
Title: Dewey There's a Cat in the Library!
Publication:September 15, 2009
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Genre: Children
Pages: 40
Audience: 3 and up
Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Purchased

Synopsis (from the cover ):

When Dewey is found in the book drop slot of the public library on the coldest night of the year, he is just a tiny kitten-shivering and very, very dirty! Vicki the librarian takes him in, warms him up, and decides then and there that he will be their library cat, naming him Dewey Readmore Books. Dewey loves his new home and he's always ready to play...But when he discovers the littlest library visitors- who like to chase him, pull his tail, and squeeze him extra tight- Dewey wonders if he is truly cut out for his new job. In this hilarious and heartwarming tale based on Vicki Myron's bestselling true story, Dewey learns what it really takes to be the best library cat of all.

My thoughts:
I remember this story in the news several years ago. I was really excited when I found out the librarian who found Dewey had written a book about it. The best-selling book. Dewey was such a waste of time. If I wanted to hear about martial problems or illness, I would go home. My town is small enough that everyone knows about everyone and I can hear that at home. When I saw that Vicki Myron had written a children's book about Dewey I thought this book will have all that memoir parts cut out of it and focus on the cat. This book is adorable. It is about Dewey finding his place in the library. The book is short enough to hold a child's attention span. The artwork is just beautiful. It is a super cute story.

2 comments:

  1. How cute! I have to find this for my grandson. I'm trying to instill a love of books in him at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read a Dewey book, and this looks good!

    ReplyDelete