Blogger Widgets

Friday, August 24, 2012

Cinder (Audiobook)


Author:  Marissa Meyer
Title: Cinder
Publication:January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Genre: Cyberpunk, Dystopian, Fantasy, Young Adult, Adventure
Pages: 400
Audience: 15 and up
Rating: 4 out 5
Source: Public Library

Synopsis (from the cover): 
Sixteen year old Cinder is considered a technological mistake by most of society and a burden by her stepmother. Being cyborg does have its benefits, though: Cinder's brain interface has given her an uncanny ability to fix things (robots, hovers, her own malfunctioning parts), making her the best mechanic in New Beijing. The reputation brings Prince Kai himself to her weekly market booth, needing her to repair a broken android before the annual ball. Although eager to impress the prince, Cinder's intentions are derailed when her younger stepsister, and only human friend, is infected with the fatal plague that's been devastating Earth for a decade. Blaming Cinder for her daughter's illness, Cinder's stepmother volunteers her body for plague research, an "honor" that no one has survived. But it doesn't take long for the scientists to discover something unusual about their new guinea pig. Something others would kill for.


My thoughts:
This isn't a book I would have normally picked for myself. Cricket suggested it to me. I thought she had read it until I decided to try to discuss a part with her and she covered her ears. I found out quickly it is on her "to read" list. I really don't know what to say about the book. There was a whole lot going on during the novel because it really is a cyberpunk, dystopian, fantasy, adventure novel for young adults. I was unsure how the Cinderella theme fit in, but by the end of the book it all makes sense. I listened to the audiobook, and I'm not going to suggest that. I finally found someone who had actually read the book, and I asked them if Cinder sounded like a whiny teenager. She said said Cinder did not sounded like a I'm-not-going-to-take-crap, strong, female lead. The lady who narrated the book made Cinder sound like a brat, and I just wanted to slap her in a few scenes. Now the narrator did an excellent robot voice. The robot, Iko, ended up being my favorite character because her voice was perfect. I also found myself leaning towards the evil villain side. I almost always go with the protagonist, but evil Queen Levana's glimmer is working on me. She is just a perfect evil, wicked witch of a queen who stops at nothing to get what she wants. The book as a whole was entertaining. I once again suggest reading it. The audio was okay, but I think reading it you can maybe see more of a stronger version of Cinder. Overall, the book was a good read and something outside of what I usually read. Marissa Meyer plans to make the novel into a series titled, The Lunar Chronicles. The next novel is titled, Scarlet, which comes out in February 2013. I can't wait to see what that series has in store.

9 comments:

  1. Lol, I was in Librarian mode ma'am when I suggested it to you. :P I will try to read it ASAP, so we can discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! A weird twist that takes a lot of imagination.

    I'm not an audio book person... I love the feel of books. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to pick up a copy of this for ages, I always love fairytale retellings, there's something comforting about them.
    I won't be picking up an audio copy though. I do enjoy some audiobooks as you get the creepy music in the background and stuff sometimes, but I need to be able to see the words in front of me to be able to get a full experience from a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very much looking forward to reading this book. There is something about it that makes me curious, regardless of the reviews, good or bad. I honestly am just incredibly curious about Iko! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I adore fairytale retellings and this book is definitely one of my favourites. I can't wait for Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought about how the narrator's voice could affect how you feel about characters in the book. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I can't listen to Audiobooks, haha. I just got Cinder, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I've heard mixed reviews so I'm interested to see how I'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i got cinder from a book giveaway..haven't read it yet buut i think i will like it...
    ur review is great..thx u :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I surprisingly enjoyed this book as well due to the fact that I'm kind of picky about fairy tale retellings. I hadn't even known they were all retellings until I started reading it! I just got Scarlet the other day at the Fierce Reads Tour, so I'm really excited to start that! Great review though!

    ReplyDelete