Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Author: Sophie Kinsella
Title: Can You Keep a Secret?
Publication: December 27th, 2005
Publisher: Dell
Genre: Adult Fiction
Rating: 5 out 5
Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Amazon | BN

Synopsis: Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...

Thoughts:  Emma is having a midlife crisis. She doesn’t love her “perfect” boyfriend, her job is at a standstill, and let’s not forget the spiteful sister making life miserable. She bottles up her feelings until a fateful incident on a turbulent plane ride. She spills all of her darkest secrets to a stranger, then finds out the next day that the man is her companies CEO Jack Harper.

All of the characters in the book are well developed. Everyone has secrets – Emma more than most – and watching her get caught sparks the life she’s been wanting (and at the same time not wanting). Through out the book you see her evolving into a better, mature person. It’s humorous with a tad bit of drama. Definitely a chick lit feel-good read. You really feel for Emma, which means the character is relatable. One of the biggest reasons people like books is to feel an emotion for the characters situation. You certainly have these feelings in this book. Jack is also someone you want to get your hands on. He’s so gorgeous, funny, smart, and successful. Mmmmmm.

Sophie Kinsella is the author of the famous series Shopoholic, which I had no desire to read (shopping isn’t my thing). After reading this book I’m having second thoughts. I would love to follow this author closer, and give this book five stars.


9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cute book. I haven't read anything by Sophie Kinsella either. I'm not a huge shopper myself and the Shopoholic books didn't appeal to me. If you read them, you should review them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Midlife crisis? Sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAYYYYY! It's really nice to know when another person enjoy Kinsella's book! I'm a huge fan of her books. Specially the Shopaholic Series. They're hilarious, but Can You Keep a Secret was the first book I read of her and since that moment I loved her writing. I'm so glad you enjoy her book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Shopaholic series is much better than this book. While I do happen to like shopping, I don't think that is a necessity for enjoying the series. I would recommend at least trying it out. This book was a quick enjoyable read, but it wasn't my favorite. I liked the Shopaholic series and Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my fave from Sophie Kinsella besides The Shopaholic series. Yes, sometimes Emma annoyed me but I can't help but laugh out loud on her antics :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good book review! I also wrote a book review about this one. :) How I wish I could be a great blogger as you are. Would you mind to visit my blog? scarlettie13.blogspot.com I hope you would also follow me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I havent read a book by Sphie Kinsella but so many of her books are on my TBR because it all sounds cute and funny. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not read any of her books but this one, finally, looks like something I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great book! I like well developed characters and that this is funny and has drama too. I didn't read the Shopoholic series either but this book sounds good! Thanks for your sharing your thoughts!

    Suz Reads

    ReplyDelete